It seems the intersection of faith and science is a hot concept in the entertainment world right now. I know it's not new (think X-files), but a few popular shows have really picked it up, starting with LOST. Which of course immediately drew me in. However, LOST has certainly peaked, and there's another show that's gaining ground. That show is House.
As with LOST, I sometimes wonder if I should really be watching House. I mean, both those shows actually possess the potential to change my worldview. Maybe House more than LOST. The writers this season are obviously toying with the audience - creating in them a desire for the mysterious, the unknown and the afterlife, only to squash it dead. Like, should I really care *what* Hugh Laurie's character saw or didn't see during his near-death experience? And yet, for some bizarre reason I do. Why am I looking to a tv show to tell me that life is more than a naturalistic occurrence ultimately explained by empirical data?
The strangest thing is why I'm still obviously shaky on the subject. God must be shaking his head, thinking, "I did this for you, and this, and this, and you still want more proof." I pretty much heard him say the other day, "If you questioned the world as much as you questioned me, you'd get a lot more of this right..."
Still, I'm waiting for the day when Dr. House has his mystical experience. I mean, this is America after all - could we actually put up with a star character who never had his epiphany? Though I guess if he did that'd be the end of the show.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Aack, House is kind of driving me nuts this season with the the "Reach out and touch someone" I'm tired of Wilson and Cuddy talking about how much he needs others.
I like my Dr. House snarky and miserable, the more miserable, manipulative and self-destructive, the more entertaining.
Anyway, that doesn't at all relate to your post. I did find that episode interesting. I actually wouldn't have minded if they had kept us in suspense a bit longer about what happened when House tried to find the other side and drawn out the whole mystery more.
One thing I do find interesting about the whole ordeal is that House is brilliant in the head, but so sick and cynical at heart that he cannot experience the benefit of faith on earth. Dr. Cameron, however, who does believe in love and goodness and all of that, is completely irritating on this show.
You're so right about Cameron...
Post a Comment