Thursday, September 20, 2007

Christian and a skeptic

I'm currently reading Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller. I really appreciate the book, but I keep hitting my head up against something. His universal theory of life is this: people were created for God to tell them who they were. When Adam and Eve ate the apple, they broke the relationship and humans have spent the rest of history looking to each other to tell them who they are. This isn't a completely radical thought, though it is presented in an unorthodox way.

The problem I keep running into is this: All the maladies he ascribes to the Fall could also be explained by good 'ol survival of the fittest. Why do we rank and file each other? To determine sexual fitness. Why are cheerleaders and jocks revered in middle school? See previous answer. And then the big question, "Why is there something missing in our souls that seeks fulfillment?" Perhaps because we are the only animals who have become aware of the cosmic joke that is our existence. Do I really believe this? No, not really. But I'm having a hard time getting epiphanies from the book when these nagging thoughts pop into my head. There is no proving God, I'm painfully aware of that. But I do want to be intellectually honest and pursue alleys and byways that may not be safe or comforting in an effort to find some more of the truth.

No comments: