Friday, September 28, 2007
Searching continues
The more I read Searching the more I like it. At first I saw it as overly political and divisive, but the further I get the more it critiques polarization and winning-side rhetoric from any standpoint. Also, the more Miller talks about Jesus, the more I buy his "lifeboat theory," the theory that we are all scrambling over each other to prove ourselves worthy of staying in the lifeboat of society, lest we be downgraded or thrown out altogether. Jesus, he says, was like an alien looking in on our situation, telling us that all our rules in the lifeboat - accumulation of wealth, separation of class and race, and religious performance for the approval of others to name a few - were futile and meaningless. I think next I'll do a little blog comparing his lifeboat theory with Darwinism. I've thought about it before - is Darwinism a result of the fall? Sometimes I question even the fall as literal. But that's what I do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a fantastic blog! Yay! I'm glad I actually clicked on over.
Hmm, I've read blue like jazz, but not this book. I do have it in my TBR pile, but admittedly, I'm primarily a fiction lover.
I'd love to hear your continued thoughts, though it appears you haven't posted in awhile. :)
Yes, this is my second attempt and something like this. I was seized with anxiety about the first one and rapidly removed it from them internets...I'll be posting again soon, I hope. Got some ideas spinning around again.
Post a Comment